Why did I not qualify for the first month of sign up bonus - Qantas Premier Platinum up to 80,000 Qantas points offer?

I changed my CC as the points earn per $ was reduced and went with Qantas Premier Platinum - up to 80,000 Qantas Points.

I’m hazy on the bonus points earn? spend 1500 each month for 4 months to get 20k points each month. The T&C mention statement periods and also Months.

My card was activated on 2 August. I’ve already received a statement effective 5th August and I spent $200.00. Does this mean i dont quality for the 20k points for the first Month or does is actually go from 2 August to 1 September and not statement period?

Thanks.

Hi @cba.81

I’m afraid you’ve fallen into a trap which seems to be common to many Citi-issued credit cards (including the Qantas Premier Mastercard).

You are correct: Spend $1500 each month for four months to get 20,000 Qantas points each month. But the $1500 is for each statement period.

Now here’s the trap: the first statement period began on the day the card was approved, not the day the card was received or activated.

From what you’ve written, my guess is that your card was approved on or about July 5. Then it would have taken a week or two for you to have received your card in the mail, and my guess is that it was another week or two before you activated it. By the time you activated it, you only had 3 days left to spend the $1500.

Like I said, this is a trap that’s common to other Citi cards (including Virgin Money Visa cards, so at least they don’t discriminate between airlines in their unscrupulousness!). You can find this buried in the Qantas Premier Mastercard Terms & Conditions, paragraph 1: “This offer is only available for the first 4 months from account approval”. (my italics).

Live and learn. At least you can still earn 60,000 points over the next three statement periods.

1 Like

Thanks @sixtyeight, I’m usually pretty good with this stuff and reading the fine print and thought I was on top of it, but questioned it again after the statement came in.

I applied on 26th July, approved on 30th July. Activated on 3rd August (not 2 August as i said above). Statement on 5th August

The fine print regarding the points is

“20,000 Qantas Points will be awarded each statement period when $1,500 or more is spent on eligible purchases that month. This offer is only available for the first 4 months from account approval. The first eligible month will start from the date of your card approval. Each eligible month will begin on the same date in subsequent months, or a day prior.”

Reading that in full, I assumed that “The first eligible month will start from the date of your card approval. Each eligible month will begin on the same date in subsequent months, or a day prior.” being that it just did it month to month from date of approval. Why else would it state “Each eligible month will begin on the same date in subsequent months, or a day prior.”

On top of all that, it doesn’t clearly state anywhere what the “Statement Period” actually is in the T&C, if it does I cant find it.

Its all dodgy AF to confuse you.!

Thanks for that clarification @cba.81

That’s just weird. If you were approved on July 30 you should not be receiving your first statement on August 5!

I’d be giving them a call to ask what’s going on and to insist on being given a month from the date of approval to spend the first lot of $1500. What you’ve described isn’t right at all.

All the best!

G’day there CBA.

I would give them a call. I had this issue in the past with a Virgin money card with bonus points for the first three months. In my case I received the first statement about 10 days after the card (and had not met the minimum spend yet) and because of this they just used the next 3 statements to get me the full amount of bonus points.

Different provider, but with both being Citi-issued I imagine they would be reasonable to you as they were to me

1 Like