Which airline to redeem award flights for family of 4 from Adelaide to Hong Kong - Singapore Airlines or Cathay Pacific?

First question here so please bear with me.

I’m wanting to take the family (2 Adults, 2 Kids) on a trip from Adelaide to Hong Kong next October.
We only have enough points for economy on either Singapore Airlines or Cathay but am beginning to become more and more confused with which one to deposit my hard earned points.

The last thing I want to do is dump the points into either one and have no availability for when we want to travel.
Ideally I’d prefer Singapore Airlines (SQ) to take advantage of the free stopover on the way back from which we can shoot off to Phuket (HKT) for a short break. As I’ll be paying $ for the flight to Phuket I think flights from Singapore-Phuket will be a lot cheaper vs Hong Kong-Phuket.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi sdeer,

I’d recommend signing up for a krisflyer account (Free) and you can check award availability on Singapore Airlines before transferring points.

Might also be worth doing two separate redemptions: ADL-SING-HK and Phuket-SING-ADL then buying the HK to Phuket leg. Same amount of points but saves a flight.