Which airline program should I choose as a HSBC Star Alliance cardholder?

I have signed up for the HSBC Star Alliance Card and have successfully fast tracked to Star Alliance Gold Status and now need to select an airline frequent flyer program.

I am likely to be moving to London later this year and want to maximize the time that I have gold status so that I can access lounges, and carry extra luggage when flying with Star Alliance airlines. My usual flights will be between Stockholm and London.

Points Hacks have a helpful guide on which airline to choose, but unfortunately SAS are not an available airline. However, it appears that I could maximise my gold status for the remainder of this year, and the next calendar year if I selected Canada Air. There is a link embedded in the article which takes you to Star Alliance’s website, but I can’t see the supporting evidence from that page that says that I could potentially have a Gold for 18 months if I sign up this week.

As I will also be travelling to Australia intermittently, I want to maximise lounge access, luggage, and potentially the purchase of flights/upgrades with points so I am also leaning in favour of Singapore Airline’s program, but they will only provide Star Alliance access for 12 months from the date that you select the airline.

Could someone please point me to either their recent experience, or to the supporting evidence on AirCanada’s website which suggests that I could get 18 months access instead of 12?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Not sure about the getting 18months of AC status but if you are worried about benefits domestically, Air Canada is also a Velocity partner so you will still get Lounge access benefits when travelling with Virgin Australia much like Singapore Airlines. Neither programs will allow you to purchase upgrades with points as that is mostly for Velocity members.

IMO, Aeroplan is a better program as points don’t have a hard expiry date unlike Singapore, and their points are more valuable overall with even more partners than Singapore and at lower redemption costs.

1 Like