What is the best use of Westpac Altitude points while Velocity points option is unavailable?

I chose Westpac business altitude for Velocity points. Ended up using all my Velocity points on useless tech stuff just before they closed the store (Need to check if they will accept returns as I haven’t opened them!).
I have around 155,000 points currently with Altitude and want to close my card asap while waiting for a better option to sign up for in coming months.
I could put them to KrisFlyer but who knows when we will be allowed to travel that far again?
What would my best option be if I want to use them today/this week?
Thanks

Hi @morepointsplease

That’s a really good question. In the current climate, with so much uncertainty, by far the best option, really, is to keep your points where they are until things are clearer. However, if you absolutely must close your card account right now and need to move your points somewhere, your best two options (in order of what my recommended preference would be) are as follows:

• Transfer your points to Asia Miles, which can be used on Qantas flights. Asia Miles points have the added benefit of never expiring, as long as you add or use points at least once every 18 months.

• Transfer your points to KrisFlyer. There’s nothing I can find on either the KrisFlyer or Virgin Australia websites that says that you can no longer use KrisFlyer points on Virgin Australia flights. Call or message Virgin to double-check this, but it looks like while KrisFlyer/Velocity transfers have been suspended, you can still use KrisFlyer points on Virgin flights.

To be honest in the current climate I think Asia Miles is the safer option.

3 Likes

thanks sixty-eight - not ideal but probably wise advice

I have the same issue with ANZ Rewards points as Velocity transfers are suspended. I am hopeful, when transfers are reactivated they may do a 30-50% bonus transfer promo?

My options are 3:1 with Krisflyer & Asia Miles which is possibly the same for Altitude

But, I am also mindful if Virgin Australia will retain agreements with Singapore Airlines and Etihad?