What are the differences between Qantas Classic Reward and Qantas Oneworld redemptions?

Is there a difference between booking a Qantas Classic Flight Reward and a Qantas Oneworld Flight Reward?

I just used the Classic FR section on qantas for 2 x Business Class return flights for MEL - Lisbon, Lisbon - Valencia, Valencia - Rome, Rome - Tokyo, Tokyo - MEL. Instead of 318,000 pts x2 , it was 441,000 x2. I don’t understand what I did wrong.

Is there a different way of booking the Qantas OW Classic FR?

A common issue is including a non-OneWorld alliance airline in a Qantas OneWorld RTW redemption. I suspect it will be your internal EU flights (Lisbon-Valencia-Rome) that is causing the problem.

If you can post the flight details of your itinerary, we can advise further.

1 Like

Aha! You are right, the flights include an Air Nostrum flight. Thanks very much.

1 Like

Okay, I tried many times in many ways and Classic Rewards kept using non OW members. There was no way I could see to select OW only members. I got frustrated so I thought is would try a OW RTW trip using points. Apparently no can do???
Points cannot be used for RTW fare.

One type of OneWorld RTW booking is paid by cash. Another type is redeemed with Qantas points.

For Qantas OneWorld RTW redemptions with points, you need all the individual flights to have award seats available on the date/time that you want to fly on/at. On some routes, it is challenging enough to find award seats for 1 or 2. Having multiple flights in the same itinerary means having to locate multiple flights with available award seats. Difficulty multiplies by the number of flights.

I would not get too hung up on putting all flights in the same itinerary as a start. Focus on all the long haul flights first. Intra-EU flights in business class are usually a blocked middle seat only - nothing much to write home about.

As mentioned earlier, if you share more detail with us regarding what you are trying to achieve (dates, routes, etc), we may be able to advise with more specific info.

Some good resource includes:

2 Likes

Instead of Lisbon-Valencia and Valencia-Rome, you could try Lisbon-Madrid-Valencia and Valencia-Madrid-Rome with Iberia (assuming Valencia is one of your 5 stops)