Firstly, awesome site. I’m trying to figure out the best Visa/MC & Amex Combo that gives a good range of benefits with good earn rates, some bonus points, and reasonable annual fees.
Seems to me that the Coles Rewards Mastercard paired with the Amex Explorer is a pretty good combo. Tell me if I’m wrong, but this is my reasoning:
- No overseas transaction fee
- Decent flybuys earn rate equivalent to 0.87 Velocity points / 0.8 Etihad miles per $
- Low annual fee of $89
- With $6k credit limit some purchase protection and 62 days interest free
- Works at ATO
- 50k bonus points
- $395 annual fee, offset by $400 travel credit
- Entry to Amex lounge at Sydney (meh)
- Reasonable earn rate
- Included insurances
- Huge range of transfer partners including SPG, Krisflyer, Velocity, Cathay
Benefits of combining these two:
- Flexibility to use either card depending on fees, acceptance, etc
- Both cards can potentially earn for Velocity, Krisflyer (either by booking through velocity or transfer from flybuys to Velocity to Krisflyer), Etihad (either from booking through velocity or transfer from Amex to SPG to Etihad), and Delta (either through booking through velocity or points transfer from Amex to SPG to Delta).
So by using these two, you could basically have Asia, Europe and the USA covered for under $500 a year in fees, with a $400 travel credit, 50k bonus points, insurances, no overseas transaction fees, and the ability to get reasonably earns from the ATO?
What do the experts think?