I am brand new to points hacking and I’d love some inputs please on what kind of FF program & hence credit card I should get given my circumstances… There seem to be so many options / permutations that I’m getting a bit confused!
I think my main question is - should I accumulate Qantas or Velocity points, or accumulate Amex points which are more flexible… but I gather that when I transfer these there is an ‘exchange rate’ which means they are less effective than accumulating points directly with an airline?
Anyway - here are my circumstances…
- My goal - return business flights to Europe or US for a family of 4, every 2 years, as close to free as possible
- My work sends me interstate / overseas on Qantas occasionally (1-2 a year), if I travel overseas it is business class
- My wife loves Singapore airlines (I do too!) and I read recently that it is easier / cheaper to redeem seats with them (?)
- My average monthly credit spend - ~$8000/month. My card is bundled with my home loan, and I believe I have the option of earning Qantas points with them (capped at 4000 points / month)
- I have close to 0 points on Qantas / Velocity as I recently redeemed them for something else
- We love travelling to Asia (at least once a year) and travelling business class would be great for that too, however I feel it makes better sense to save my points for the Europe / US trips. Happy to be challenged on that
Would love to hear your comments and suggestions.