Should I get a Qantas or Emirates link credit card?

Hi. I am planing to go to Japan in 2023 flying Business Class (haven’t decided on airline yet). I am planning a trip to Europe in 2024. I am hoping to fly Emirates Business Class. I am currently a member of Qantas frequent flyers and fly between Kalgoorlie and Perth around 6 times a year. I currently have a credit card linked to Frequent Flyers and use this for any major purchases. Question would I be better off joining Emirates rewards and changing to a Citibank Emirates card as this is the airline I will be spending the most with?

You will need 139,200 Qantas pts + taxes and surcharges for PER-DXB-LHR (one way). This same route would costs 177,500 Skywards miles + AUD1828. Emirates Skywards would release more award seats to their own members. I’ve heard from some community members that there are zero business class award seats for the entire year. Something to bear in mind. You could have millions of Qantas points but couldn’t redeem any Emirates seats.

Assuming you spend $10k per month, you will earn approximately 120,000 Qantas pts or 120,000 Skywards miles. You probably need 2 years to save up for a return trip if just depending on earning 1 pt/mile per dollar spent.

Hence, another quicker option is to earn via lucrative credit card sign up bonuses. As there are many more Qantas point earning credit cards vs Skywards miles earning credit cards in Australia, this make earning Qantas points via credit card sign ups much easier in Australia. Obviously, your financial situation has to be conducive towards getting credit card approvals for this strategy to work.

1 Like