Planning to first apply for David Jones AMEX card and upgrading to Amex Platinum at a later stage - is this a good plan?

Hey everyone,

Wondering if it is still viable to Start on a David Jones Platinum AMEX card then upgrade to AMEX Platinum a year or so later and receive the Platinum welcome bonus?
I know Points hacker guide says it is possible, but reading the T&C on platinum AMEX looks like it’s written differently: ‘Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any Card product issued by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 18 month period are ineligible for this offer’.

1. Is this worth doing?
  2. Is the rewards points earned with DJ AMEX transferable to Plat.AMEX?

I’m looking to start collecting points for everyday spending but not looking to travel for a couple of years to come.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Wannabe Points hacker

Hi and welcome.

Based on my understanding, David Jones Amex signup eligibility is treated separate to the rest of the family of Amex cards. Personally, I have never held the DJ Amex card but I have friends that do.

If you have not held an Amex card in the last 18 months, I would be applying for the Plat Charge card first to “guarantee” the usually higher sign up bonus. Then, I would then apply for the DJ card.

However, you may have your reasons for getting the DJ card first (upcoming DJ purchase or delaying Plat Charge annual fee). Regardless of order, you should qualify for both signup bonus, assuming you have not held an amex card in the past 18 mths.

Good luck!

2 Likes