[Personal share] No exclusion period for re-applying for the same Citi Bank card over and over

Just for info of point hackers - especially those wanting to boost your Velocity Points with Virgin about to re-commence international partner airlines redemptions. It can be slim pickings for Velocity cards but the Citibank Velocity Rewards card offers very large Velocity sign up bonuses (up to 100,000 points) on a $3,000 minimum spend with a card fee of only $99. There is no restrictions in the T&Cs on re-applying for the same card straight after you’ve already just closed one. Once you’ve got one lot of bonus points and cancelled the card, you can just immediately re-apply for another. I am on my second one now. I received 100,000 Velocity Points at the end of June from my first one, and next week I will receive another 100,000 points from my second one. The current offer is 80,000 Velocity Points and I’ll be applying for it, my third time having this card, as soon as I receive the points and cancel my current one. Only difference with this offer is you may need to hold the card a little longer because they can take up to 8 weeks after you’ve reached the minimum spend to then request your Velocity Number, and then they can take up to 10 weeks after that to issue the points. In reality the times are a lot shorter than that but. I think the lack of the usual exclusion period applies with Citi cards across the board. None of them have the usual exclusion period if you’ve just had one so you can repeatedly re-apply. :grinning:

1 Like

@graham thanks to you, I am also on the second run for the 100k and wife on first run…but I have to say the revised 80k bonus points offer is not very appealing…anyway can’t complain about 300k velocity points for $297…i used their cashback offers as well…

1 Like

Good find. Do you know if this also applies to the rewards card with a $49 fee and Bonus Points and gift card offer? I can’t see anything saying otherwise!

Yes. And it looks across the board with all Citi Bank cards.

@graham just wondering how long it took you to get the email asking for the VFF number during the second churn.

During the first chrun, I received the email within 2 weeks of completing the min spend and then the 100k velocity credited in 2 weeks after submitting the VFF number.

This time (second churn) its more than 5 weeks that i completed the min spend but still haven’t received the email asking to submit the VFF number. I contacted the CS (phone & chat) and they all confirmed the min spend is completed but they couldn’t tell me why I haven’t received the email. They also confirmed they can’t feed the VFF number in to the system. Any insight in to this???

@ck009 I had exactly the same problem! I didn’t get an email the second time around requesting the VFF number after I’d met the minimum spend second time around. (I haven’t tried a third time yet as I went onto other offers, but I intend to again in the near future and I’m guessing it’ll be the same problem for any consecutive applications after you’ve already had the offer once already). I guess the computer tells itself it’s already asked for your VFF number already so it doesn’t recognise it’s got to do it again?? And I had exactly the same stress trying to get any sense out of the o/s call centre. Don’t sit and wait any longer for that automatic email requesting the VFF number because it’s obviously not coming. I got onto Citi complaints and raised a formal complaint. And in the end I just gave my VFF number to Citi complaints. The offer is definitely able to be taken up multiple times. It must just be a computer glitch after you’ve already had the offer once, given that the same thing has happened to both of us. I got the points very quickly after complaining to Citi. Good luck.:grinning:

1 Like

@graham Thank you very much for your detailed reply. If it happened to both of us on the second time, you must be right in saying the computer doesn’t see the need to send the email.

I will raise a formal complaint with them and also provide references to my prev conversations. Will give you an update on the outcome.