Need help with booking Qantas oneworld round-the-world itinerary

Hi all, We are having awful trouble with making this booking. (This is an abridged version of message sent some days ago to Qantas to which I have had no reply)

I have been making bookings on behalf of my wife and I, under my wife’s FF#, a round-the-world (RTW) itinerary booked as a oneworld reward, flying Business Class (BC).

Flights have been booked under the following References (obviously ficticous codes):

WWWWWW, XXXXXX, YYYYYY, ZZZZZZ

These flights are for late 2023, but at this stage tickets have only been issued for bookings WWWWWW, XXXXXX, meaning that we are at risk of being stranded in New York City.

The Qantas oneworld Classic Flight Reward is capped at 318,000 points each passenger, so for the two of us the cap is 636,000 points. The balance prior to making any of the above bookings was 676,589 points. The balance after ticketing of 5XNTHH, 5YWUOD, is 179,169.

The Balance at the start (676,589 points) exceeds the combined cap 636,000 points by 40,589. So there were more than enough points for the a round-the-world (RTW) itinerary booked as a oneworld reward, flying Business Class (BC).

But the system and Qantas’s reservations team are advising that ticketing cannot proceed due to insufficient points. The bookings under YYYYYY, ZZZZZZ will soon lapse, so urgent action is requested. I have made many, many calls over several days, and has received no real assistance.

I am yet to speak to anyone at Qantas who knows anything about a round-the-world (RTW) itinerary booked as a oneworld reward, flying Business Class (BC), and it clear that few have heard of it.

Today I called Qantas Head Office and the operator transferred us to Frequent Flyer higher tier team(we are BRONZE) but again no help the gent spent a lot of time but was unable to sort. Again he did not know anything about any cap.

I realise that I have probably mucked up the booking but cannot get any help from Qantas to sort/fix.

Any advice, assistance, help would be gratefully accepted.

The 318,000 points cap only works if all flights are booked under a single booking reference. How it normally works is that as each flight becomes available, you call Qantas and add that new flight to your first booking reference.

It sounds like what has happened is that you have booked a series of one way flights on separate tickets and have been charged accordingly.

Note that Qantas cannot combine all of your tickets into one ticket. You will have to cancel your 2nd, 3rd, 4th (and so on) tickets and ask Qantas to add the 2nd, 3rd, 4th flights to your first ticket.

Warning 1: once you cancel a ticket it is possible that the seats will not go back into the reward pool for you to rebook and add to your first ticket.

Warning 2: if you booked your tickets after 30/09/22 Qantas will charge you a cancellation fee of 6,000 points per person per ticket.

1 Like

Thanks, not good news, but no doubt correct.

Thanks again

“Will charge you a cancellation fee of 6,000 points per person per ticket”

Is that per ticket, not per booking? Some flights booked but not yet ticketed.

Also what about tickets that have multiple flights (segments)? One tickets was SYD to Tokyo, Malaysian Airline to KL, JAL from KUL to Tokyo. One trip but in 2 segments with 2 airlines :frowning:

What fee will apply there please ?

Thanks