Need help choosing an AMEX credit card

Hey Guys,

This one is going to be like asking “how long is a piece of string”.

My partner is tossing up between three credit cards at the moment. She is a beginner point hunter and gatherer and I have a significant QFF point balance. I have helped her narrow it down to three cards but am looking for a second opinion.

The cards are and what we like about them:
The Qantas American Express Ultimate Card (Which I have)
Benefits: $450 travel credit and referral bonus (30,000 QFF) which i can transfer her half
The American Express Velocity Platinum Card
Benefits: Allows us to access a different reward program, return domestic flight
The American Express Explorer® Credit Card
Benefits: $400 Amex travel credit, flexibility with rewards, however not a great signing bonus when converted.

I know without context its a hard choice but would love some advice.

Hi Sebastian94.

Unfortunately this site can’t give financial advice in terms of credit card selection.

Re: Your Questions to the cards which you have picked:

1. If you are a Qantas Frequent Flyer points collector, you can refer your wife to Qantas ultimate with you getting 30k bonus.
  2. Velocity platinum card- will give you velocity points which you can transfer to Krisflyer and use on star alliance partners, but the conversion is 1.3:1.
  3. Explorer gives you 2 points per $ on everything except for "govt. bodies"- but its flexible in terms of transfering to multiple partners- like currently there is 15% offer from velocity- you can earn directly into MR and transfer when needed rather than locking yourself in 1 currency- it has got 60k points currently (if you go thru a referral link).

Cheers.

Hassan.