Looking to redeem flights to Japan or Hongkong - should I transfer Amex Gateway/NAB Rewards to Velocity with 15% bonus or Asia Miles/KrisFlyer?

I’ve got about 50,000 Amex MR Gateway points and 80,000 NAB Rewards points.

My medium/long-term goal is probably a J redemption to Japan (NRT/HND) or Hong Kong (HKG) for next year or later.

Although there is a 15% bonus Velocity points targeted promotion at the moment, I’m guessing the best thing to do with the points is to sit tight?

The 15% bonus would get me over 10,000 bonus Velocity points, but it seems that since Krisflyer and Asia Miles are valued higher and may have more availability to Asia, and it may be better to just transfer to either of them down the line at the normal rates.

NAB doesn’t have Krisflyer as a partner and also sadly has a worse transfer rate to Asia Miles than to Velocity whereas AMEX rates Asia Miles and Velocity the same.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this, or if I’m crazy for not transferring to Velocity with the bonus rate.

I’m increasingly tempted to transfer to Velocity due to the value of the bonus points.

Cheers

My advice is before you transfer, you have to have a play and see whether redemption availability is scarce or in abundance.

The general feel I have of Velocity international redemptions are: it is very limited. Have a check and see whether it is still true.

You will have much more availability transferring to KF and AM if HKG and TYO is your destination.

100 points in a useful FF program is much better than 200 points in a less useful one.

Note: VFF points does not expire and KF and AM miles expire in 3 years’ time.

Asiamiles is your best bet. U can fly east coast to NRT direct on QF or JL for 80k return in J. Same price for HKG but on CX. JL flies 787 from SYD to NRT which would be nice, or CX flies A350s from BNE & MEL to HKG, also a good option.