I've been rejected for AMEX Ultimate even though I've had it 1.5 years ago, has Amex become stricter?

Hi Guys,

I use to have AMEX Ultimate credit card. I cancelled and applied for a few other cards after. After 1.5 years, I wanted to apply again to get the sign-up bonus points. But they rejected my application this time. The reason they gave me was based on an “overall assessment of the details provided to us on your application”.

I spoke on the phone with them and they wouldn’t give me any more details. I asked if I needed to reduce the credit limit on this card or other cards…and they said its not that. They would have told me if it was that…

My financial situation has gotten better since last time I applied. My salary increased a little and my mortgage was reduced. I cant figure out why they would reject me.

Has anyone experienced this?!

Hi @nesnaj

That’s certainly a disturbing situation you’re in! As you’ve explained it, you’ve had an application for credit rejected on the basis of information they have, but they won’t tell you what that information is!

If you can’t get a straight answer out of them, I suggest that your first port-of-call should be getting a copy of your Credit Report and seeing what information is on it. If it contains any mistakes or false information, there are steps you can take to having it corrected.

I personally use GetCreditScore. Click on “Help” and navigate to the sections on your Credit Report. They’ll go through how to go about seeing the information that AmEx sees when assessing your application.

Ultimately credit card companies have the right to reject applications for any and every reason they want to. But accessing your Credit Report might help in at least shedding some light on what’s gone on. There’s also no harm in educating yourself about Credit Reports in general, so you’ve got a better understanding of some of the things that are considered when it comes to assessing applications.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

Hi @sixtyeight Thank you for the advice!