Is the transfer bonus from Amex points to Hilton Honor points the same for everyone?

I want to transfer AmEx points. I received an invitation for 25% bonus to Velocity via email and I can see it on the transfer page. I can also see a bonus icon on transfer to Hilton but no details. Google search showed 40% bonus but this detail is not showing when I login for transfer. Does it mean 40% bonus for Hilton will not apply to my transfer?
I want to transfer to the program with a higher bonus :wink:

Hi @tanya.tl

If you donā€™t mind me saying, unless you have a specific Hilton redemption in mind which you know is really good value, I donā€™t think your strategy of transferring ā€œto the program with a higher bonusā€ is a good one. Hereā€™s why:

If you read the Point Hacks article below, it values Velocity points at 1.8c per point, and Hilton Honors points at 0.5c per point. I donā€™t always agree with Point Hacksā€™ valuations, but in these cases I think the valuations are about right. You can read the article for the reasoning behind those valuations.

So letā€™s do some sums. Say you have 2000 AmEx Membership Rewards points and you transfer them to Velocity. With the 25% bonus youā€™re ending up with 1250 Velocity points, valued at $22.50 at 1.8c/point.

Say you transfer your MR points to Hilton with the 40% bonus. Youā€™ll end up with 1400 points, or $7.00 worth of points at 0.5c/point.

Almost certainly, Velocity is by far the better deal even if you take into account the higher 40% transfer bonus. To put it another way, 4500 Hilton points have about the same value as 1250 Velocity points.

If you know youā€™ll use your MR points for a Velocity transfer, now is a good time to do so. Otherwise, my advice is to keep your MR points for the time being.

2 Likes

Thank you! Totally forgot that points have different value in each program. I was only looking at conversion ratio and bonus. This is a very valid point and timely reminder.

1 Like