Is it a good idea to start Qantas OneWorld RTW itinerary in Singapore?

Starting to plan a RTW ticket. I am considering to start/finish in Singapore as Singapore offers more flights to more destinations. (Possibly not using Qantas.)
Any suggestions about starting in Singapore would be appreciated.
I can get to Singapore easily and cheaply and I thought Singapore would give me more options from one city rather than having to choose an Australian airport (Perth or Mel or Syd etc).

G’day @deejaycee

If you’re going to plan a Oneworld Classic Reward, then Singapore doesn’t necessarily offer better connections, and you might be better off saving the cost of the fare to get to Singapore. The only reasons you should consider Singapore as your start point is if you wanted to visit Singapore anyway, and:

1. You want to do an open-jaw itinerary (although there are better cities for this)
  2. If you flew from Australia you would exceed the mileage cap (35,000 miles) for the award.
  3. There is zero award availability from Australia.

If you’re flying on a different RTW ticket, such as a cash ticket or the KrisFlyer RTW ticket, then Singapore can definitely be an option for your start point.

I guess it just depends on award availability for the times you want to travel, and the places that you do want to travel. Bear in mind that you would most likely need another connection to get out of South-East Asia unless you fly Finnair or British Airways straight to Europe, assuming you are talking about the Oneworld Classic Award. Depending on how this works for your destination, these may or may not suit you (plus BA’s long haul Business class product on this route is the old 7-across Club World, first introduced in 2000).

Different places to start your RTW include Bali (DPS) and Jakarta (CGK) as these places often have better award availability, as well as cheap flights to and from Australia.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes