How long should you have your credit card open for before closing it once you have received the bonus sign up points?

Hi everyone!
Just wondering how long should you have your credit card open for before closing it once you have received the bonus sign up points? Without affecting your chances of re-applying for the same card after serving the 12-18 months period once closed? I usually meet the spend criteria within 6 weeks so wondering if this is too soon to close down and if this would impact and affect it from being approved when I reapply in the future (once I have gone through all the other banks offers).
I hope this makes sense!

You can close the card straight after you’ve received the bonus points. All you need to see is the points in your frequent flyer account. The fact you closed the card straight after receiving the sign-up bonus points will not make any difference at all when you come to re-apply for the same card again. I’ve had the same cards over and over by doing this.

1 Like

Amazing, thank you Graham for this response! I always worry and end up keeping it open for at least 3 months (I once had points in my QFF within 2 weeks after opening) but now that I know it won’t impact, I will close sooner than later.
Cheers!
Jo