ANZ Frequent Flyer Black - Is it possible to earn points from BPAY or Pay Anyone?

Hi,

I’m a new ANZ Frequent Flyer Black (Amex and Visa) customer, signing up and earning the QFF 75,000 bonus points. Struggling to find out if I can earn points through BPAY or they have Pay Anyone option. Does anyone have any info here? Im assuming you cannot earn points through Pay Anyone as this could be easily gamed?

Cheers

BPAY will be considered a ‘cash advance’. \r\n\r\nThis is defined in the Credit Cards Conditions-of-use booklet (https://www.anz.com.au/content/dam/anzcomau/documents/pdf/anz-creditcards-conditions-of-use.pdf):\r\n‘cash advance’ means a debit to the credit card account where the funds are used by you to make payment to a person who does not accept credit payments from the credit card account. This may include payments through the BPAY® Scheme,\r\nANZ Internet Banking, ANZ Phone Banking and ANZ Mobile Banking.\r\n\r\nCash advances do not earn any points.\r\n\r\nRefer to the Qantas Frequent Flyer T&Cs (https://www.anz.com.au/content/dam/anzcomau/documents/pdf/anz-qantas-frequent-flyer-terms-and-conditions.pdf): \r\n(23) Exceptions.\r\n(a) Points will not accrue in relation to interest charges, premiums paid for ANZ Credit Card Insurance, government charges, bank fees, payments made to the Australian Taxation Office or other taxation payments or duties, card account\r\nadjustments resulting from disputed transactions or otherwise, balance transfers, cash advances (as defined in the ANZ Credit Cards Conditions of Use) or transactions which are identified to ANZ by the relevant merchant or any intermediary financial institution as falling into one of these categories.

Without giving actual credit advice, I think if you read the reward T&C’s regarding BPay, you will be pleasantly surprised :slight_smile:

I don’t know the details but IMO if they do allow, it would be a massive find as we could be paying each other and earning points-> which leads me to think you won’t earn points through Pay Anyone.

My understanding of using your Credit Card to BPay or Pay Anyone is it would be regarded as Cash Advance? It’s similar to withdrawing cash from ATM with credit card? Never done it before so I don’t know for sure.

Hopefully, someone else would give more confirmation. Regardless, you can try it out on a small transaction.

This is a confusing topic but IMHO it may be possible to earn points using BPay if the biller allows payment by credit card…many do not.
To ascertain whether or not they do, go to bpay.com.au and search the ‘find biller codes’ tab. It will detail what payments the biller accepts. I find that any business that applies a ‘credit card surcharge’ won’t have credit card facilities for their bpay options.
I would think that provided you paid using the credit card then this would not be treated as a cash advance.