Am I eligible for Westpac credit card signup bonus after holding Bank of Melbourne cards?

Hi there,

I’ve previously held a Bank of Melbourne Amplify Signature Qantas Rewards card (Early 2020) and subsequently after earning the big sign up bonus points I cancelled the card in mid 2020.

I’m now looking to sign up to the Westpac Platinum Mastercard Qantas however as BOM is a subsidiary of Westpac, I’m concerned that I may not receive the minimum spend sign up bonus with Westpac as I’ve held one of “their” cards in the last 12 months.

Has anyone had this issue before? Are both Banks treated separately with regards to CC sign ups and minimum spending amounts for bonus points offers?

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers!

Hi @jjrattle

I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

In these cases there’s really no alternative but to plough into the T&Cs of the offer. In fact that’s a good thing to do before signing up to any new credit card with a sign-up bonus, to ensure that you don’t get hit with any nasty surprises!

In this case, the relevant section of the Westpac Altitude Platinum Mastercard T&Cs reads:

“Existing Westpac customers who currently hold an Earth Classic, Earth Platinum, Earth Platinum Plus, Earth Black, Altitude Classic, Altitude Platinum or Altitude Black credit card, or who have held one in the last 12 months, are not eligible for this offer.”

As you can see, there’s no mention of Bank of Melbourne or any Amplify card. It looks like you’ll be fine.

1 Like

I am doing exactly the same.
I rang Westpac for advice and was told no problems. Note the reward schemes Amplify and Altitude are different.
I must say the documentation requirements for a Westpac minimum limit card are super heavy, it was like applying for a home loan!

1 Like

umm pretty sure bom etc are all under st george not westpac