Am I eligible for an American Express new cardholder signup bonus if I've held an American Express from another bank?

Hi All

American Express are currently offering their Discovery Card for $0 annual fee with 7500 bonus points. However, according to the T&C the offer is not available to “Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any other Card product offered by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 12 month period are ineligible for this offer.”

Three months ago I held an ANZ Frequent Flyer Black Credit Card account which came with an ANZ Visa Card and an ANZ AMEX card.

If I did apply for the AMEX Discovery Card, does anyone know whether I would be excluded from the 7500 bonus points? I am wondering whether the fact my AMEX Card was linked to an ANZ account rather than AMEX itself would circumvent this issue?

Grateful for advice

Mark

You would not be excluded from the 7500 bonus points. As you suspect, your ANZ linked Amex is considered a 'bank-issued' Amex and so you qualify for any Amex sign-up bonuses.

Consider using a referral link from this forum as you will get a higher sign up bonus than the public offer (7500+2500 for first Qantas spend vs 5000+2500).

Buying a $50 Qantas gift voucher is a good way to get Qantas spend if you have no immediate flight plans (also means no credit card fees when you do book!)