Which Star Alliance membership for random Star Alliance points?

We have a flight booked to Cuba flying Copa. We are QF frequent flyers, but are looking to joining a Star Alliance program so that we can make use of the Cuba flight miles (i.e. I doubt that we will ever fly Copa again!).

My best guess is to join either the Singapore or Air NZ frequent flyer programs as we are more likely to use one of those flying from Australia. Is this logical or is there some other Star Alliance program that would make more sense?

Air NZ seems to have a longer period before points expiry than Singapore. What other criteria should we choose if choosing between these two?

KrisFlyer is likely your better option.

The redemption rates for Airpoints are quite high and conversion rates for Scheme Card points to Airpoints are also problematic for many cards.

On the other hand, KrisFlyer has decent availability with Singapore Airlines and allows transfer of points to Velocity at the rate of 1.35:1, giving you some additional usage options.

I had exactly the same question - which program to join?

I’m based in Australia. I already have return tickets to Europe with ANA. I fly to Europe every 1.5-2 years.

I was thinking about joining with Air NZ because: 1. I want to travel to NZ next year so could use the points, 2. It’s local and has local partners like Virgin Australia, 3. Also partners with Cathay Pacific and Etihad (which I’m planning to fly with in future)

Or would I still be better off joining KrisFlyer?

Second part of the question (I may post it separately too) - I’m travelling with a baby and husband - any ideas on how to join them to earn points for the family?