Which miles should I buy for best value for flights from Singapore to Brisbane?

In January 2017 we will be cruising Sydney to Singapore, and flying back to BNE after a few days - about 11 Feb, with award booking about middle of March.

Our credit card spend and paid flights are minimal these days so we rely on points purchase (hopefully with bonuses). I have managed to use Alaska Air in the past and have current Cathay Pacific booking Brisbane to San Francisco (with stopover in Hong Kong), but understand we can only use Alaska award chart listings to book and they don’t seem to have SIN-BNE on their chart.

Booking through American doesn’t seem viable either.

We have membership with Avianca, but not used them via purchase points.

We have flown OOL-SIN on scootbiz which was OK, and if no awards are available we can do the reverse, but we would like to finish off our trip in real comfort…

Hoping someone can “point” (pardon the pun) me in the right direction!

Thanks

Alaska - you could join two redemptions - SIN-HKG and HKG-BNE - but at higher cost.

American - should be viable and would allow SIN-HKG-BNE on one itinerary, as they are in the same region on the AA award chart. The price for this redemption is not changing dramatically either with the devaluation changes coming up in March.

Avianca is a little more complex, but you should be able to search for award availability online before purchasing when they next do a miles purchase deal. More Singapore Airlines award seats have been coming up I hear.

Keith and Michael

Many thanks for your replies, I have been away for a few days so sorry for delay in acknowledging your help.

I know I took a punt with Alaska before in that I paid before I booked and was lucky! AA looks a bit dicey and has higher cost.

This time I like the “hold” facility on AA, and will look seriously at Singapore/Avianca.

Problem is that Point/discount bonus offers may not be available when I can book (about 18/3/16).

Should I wait till the next "offer"is available, or bite the bullet and book for the dates while I can? - also looks like Chinese New year time, could be busy - decisions, decisions!

Have either of you any guesses when the next AA or Avianca offers (after approx 18/3) will be???

I really appreciate your comments and suggestions

Regards