Which airline for Business Class to Maldives using Velocity points - Etihad or Singapore airlines?

Hi Keith,

Thank for you this lovely website

I am wanting to travel business class to Maldives for my honeymoon in feb 2018 with my fiancé. I would like to travel with Etihad via Abu Dhabi . I am planning to use my velocity points for this . Do you think it is a good idea and how many points do you think I should spend per person on it? I called virgin Australia and they said if I use Singapore airlines business from BNE or Sydney via Singapore it would work out cheaper . What are your thoughts?

For Etihad they said it would cost around 140,000 Velocity points each way whereas for Singapore airlines they said around 90k.

I am planning to return to Perth so Singapore airlines is cheaper and 78k points from Male to Perth in business.

This will be my first ever international business class trip so really need some advice on the best use of points.

Thank you so much

Hi,

Business Class one way costs:

• PER-BNE-AUH-MLE costs 139k Velocity pts + USD410 in surcharge charged by Velocity on Etihad redemptions + the nominal flight taxes.
  • PER-SIN-MLE costs 65k Velocity pts + the nominal flight taxes.
  • PER-SIN-MLE costs 55k Krisflyer miles + the nominal flight taxes.
Personally, I would go the 2nd option because of shorter travel time, low cash component, much cheaper in points. Win-win-win. However, you may decide that you really want to try Etihad. As long as you are aware of the cash component, go for it.