Where should I credit my Singapore Airlines flight to? Velocity Frequent Flyer or Alaska Mileage Plan?

Hi Points Hack community!

I am flying J class SIA next month and was debating to whether credit the miles to Alaska Miles or Velocity. I have a low balance in velocity but thought that i can start to build and collect Alaska Miles. I am not intending to collect Kris Flyer miles due to the very low amount of flying I have with them.

Testing Alaska Miles,I could not find a 2 person business class redemption seat from Melbourne to Hong Kong for the next year. My plan with Alaska Miles is to use it to get to Hong Kong and then onwards travel to Europe. I am unsure if the lack of reward seats is the reality or whether there is a system error or I am just not looking hard enough.

Let me know your thoughts!

The benefit of banking your points with Velocity is that you can get Velocity elite status which could come in handy if you’re flying VIrgin Australia.
Both programs have different partners and benefits. If your goal is to get to Hong Kong, both programs have good redemption options and partneres.
About the Alaska availability issue, Alaksa usually have access to less overall award space than other OneWorld partners (usually one seat less).

Cathay is not available through the website, you need to contact the call centre