When is the best time to book a Qantas Classic Rewards flight?

I’ve accumulated quite a lot of qantas frequent flyer points over the years and would like to use them in the best value trip - RTW if possible using classic rewards. I am limited to travelling during busy time periods because I’m a teacher and every time I try and book a classic reward flight, they seem like they’re all gone. When does Qantas release them and how many are released? How quickly do you have to go online to snap them up?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome,

If you haven’t already done so, please have a read.

Like the article mentions, just because the calendar opens, it doesn’t necessarily means seats are available.

If you are looking for Qantas (metal) flights, when the calendar opens depends on whether you have Qantas status. Gold and above have first dibs. However, if you are after Qantas partner airlines flights, status is not a factor.

My general strategy is to book as soon as calendar open (where possible). If my circumstances change, the change/cancellation fee is what I accept as cost of “doing business”. I much rather do it this way than struggle to find award seats. However, this only works if you know roughly where you want to go. This strategy is particularly important for you as you can only go during school holidays, which is what most families are limited to.

2 Likes