What is the best way to use Velocity points or KrisFlyer miles for Melbourne to Mumbai flights?

Hello,

I am confused about how to best use my Velocity/KrisFlyer points.

Me, my wife, child and nephew are looking to book a return ticket to Mumbai from Melbourne. The dates of travel would be 18/10/2019 - 21/11/2019. All of them are KrisFlyer members.

I have a Velocity balance of 270,060 points, KrisFlyer balance of 10,741 miles and Flybuys balance of 1,752 points. My wife has a Velocity and Flybuys balance of 4,481 and 1,543 points respectively. My child (8 years) does not have any balance whereas my nephew has KrisFlyer balance of 12,668 miles.

I intend to book as many tickets as possible with less money to spend. I would appreciate feedback on how I should go about it. What would be the optimum use of the available points?

Should you have any questions or require further information, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Kumar

Hi,

Melbourne to Mumbai via Singapore with Singapore Airlines costs one way per person:

50k Velocity points or 40k Krisflyer miles + taxes and surcharges.

Sounds like you have enough Velocity pts for 5 oneway redemptions.

You could consider combining all your Velocity points, transferring all your flybuy points to Velocity (especially with the bonus transfer promotion at the moment). You might be able to scrap through just enough for the 6th ticket.

You could search on the Virgin Australia website for the dates that you are after. Look for Economy Reward seats. Otherwise, it would cost a lot more points.

Good luck.

Hi Warren,

Thank you so much for your quick response. Apologies could not acknowledge soon.

Yes, with the solution you provided, I would be able to buy 2.5 round trips. That would leave me to pay for 1.5 tickets cash.

I would look up to see if there are any Economy Reward seats available. I will come back with what happens.

Again, appreciate your assistance.

Regards,

Kumar