What happens if I miss this tight connection?

Hello. First post here.
I have booked (using Velocity points) a one-way flight BNE-SYD-LAX-EWR-LIS. The flights from SYD to LIS are with United. All flights are on the same ticket.
The connection at EWR is 57 minutes, This seems very tight to me, as I suspect I will have to go through security and passport control, and I am wondering:
(1) If I miss the connection, will the airline put me on the next available flight (the thought of this doesn’t really bother me, to be honest);
(2) If not, would I be covered by travel insurance (ANZ/Allianz); and
(3) Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of making the connection?
The flights are not until September, but this question has been bugging me in the back of my mind, so I would like to know how such things are handled.
Thanks very much for any replies.

Hi and welcome.

As the flights are on the one itinerary/ticket, you are “protected” from missing any flights due to any delays/cancellations. I.e. United is responsible for getting you to your destination if you miss the flight due to delays on the LAX-EWR flight.

If the same flight (LAX-EWR-LIS) is available for booking on the United website, it means it satisfies the Minimum Connection Time (MCT) for EWR.

I’m not up to speed with how passport control works in USA so can only suggest that you pack lighter if possible (hand luggage and items) and wear comfortable walking shoes to enable quicker speed of getting from one gate to the other.

It would also be most useful if you don’t have to switch terminals at EWR.

Thank you for replying, w.hiew. When I searched on the United website, it neither recognised Los Angeles as a location nor Lisbon! However when I looked on Skyscanner the flight was available for purchase direct from United. Seeing I am on a ticket issued by Virgin (with a UA flight number), I wonder which airline would be responsible.
This sort of situation is a bit new to me!

Interesting. Both LAX and LIS work for me on United.com

If anything happens and you do miss the any flights on the itinerary not due to your fault but the airline’s decision or events outside of anyone’s control (e.g. weather event), you will have to contact Virgin Australia for help. The call centre agent may say you have to contact United but because the ticket was issued by VA, they will have to contact United for alternative flights.

Thank you. That is very clear.

1 Like