Using Qantas frequent flyer - how to search for business award seats from Perth to Tokyo on partner airlines?

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on getting the best deal for this route. We are a family of 4 (2 kids under 11) and we are wanting to travel in Business to Tokyo for approx. 3 weeks in Sept/Oct 2017. I am struggling to find any availability during this period on the Qantas site and unsure how to search for partner availability (JAL, Cathay etc). Obviously I can search for paid flights on partner sites but not sure what the award availability is. Am I trying to book too far ahead and will QFF award seats open up closer to the day?
Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Hi,

Qantas searches fine for Cathay.

For JAL, you have to search with British Airways or directly with JAL. BA, you need a UK address to create account. Use a friend’s or relative’s address if you don’t have 1.

If you want more info, here is a page from australianfrequentflyer for searches on oneWorld award space.

Some other tips include:

Try searching for 1 or 2 seats to begin with. 4 business class seats are in general hard to achieve (but not impossible).

You may have to fly separately in 2’s (1 parent 1 kid  x 2) over 2 flights if really can’t find availabilities.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I will do some research now.

Cheers, Kim