Should we be booking Qantas oneworld RTW flights all at once or add flights later?

Hi all, my partner and I are trying to plan for and hopefully soon book an RTW one world ticket in business using Qantas points for September 2023. We can be extremely flexible with cities and time/dates and airlines.

My question is, is there a way that we book the first few long legs which will open up shortly, then 4 weeks later when the other long return legs open up we book them? How does that work with it being a RTW trip or is it that we have to book all at once?Also if we do book separately, is it that we then have to add flights using the call Centre (and not online). I have heard terrible things about the call Centre especially for those with no status.

Just trying to work out if it will be worth it to wait the extra four weeks so that all our dates are covered then try to do it all in one go.

Any help would be appreciated, first time doing any of this.

Thanks,
D

Despite having to deal with call centres, I would probably book the flights first and add later. Hearing so many stories about award flights being booked out, I’d grab the flights while I can and deal with the rest later.

That’s my 2c worth.

If the flights follow all the required rules/restrictions of a Qantas oneworld RTW redemption, the point costs will cap at the relevant point costs and you can keep adding flights to your itinerary; the taxes will continue to increase.

Changes will costs some Qantas points (depending on whether the change fees are still being waived due to covid). Used to be 6000/7000 points per change per passenger.

1 Like

Thanks very much for your reply. I think i’ll take up your advice and do the first few flights and then when the remaining flights open up I’ll call and add them on. If i have another 4-5 flights to add on, would that be considered 1 change (if i do it all in the one call) or, would that be consider 4 or 5 changes?

Cheers,
D

1 Like

I think it is per change so, if you can book another 4 flights at one go, it should be one change fee.