Seeking advice on what to do re RTW classic reward and impact of Japan not being open to tourists

Hi Folks,

First time poster and seeking advice for yet another “unprecedented” situation. Thanks to a huge number of helpful hints on PointHacks around how to create a classic RTW itinerary, I saved up my points and managed to secure my dream itinerary in Business class for my family of 3. This was booked in October 2021 for travel departing SYD-HND 10/09/22 with a 3 day stopover then HND-LHR on 13/09/22. The problem is that it is looking increasingly unlikely that Japan will be open to tourists by September.

I have tried to get a straight answer out of Qantas as to what will happen if we can’t enter Japan by September. Can anyone advise as to whether my best course of action is to:

1. Hold fast and see what happens. Will Qantas move us to Business cabin seats on next flight so we transit only in Haneda or re-route us but keep us in Business class. Both flights are JAL.

2. Try to re-route now, but impossible now to get 3 Business class reward seats on any partner airlines under RTW OneWorld. I have tried all routing options.

I resent having to give us Bus class on these legs cause I made the effort to book this itinerary so far in advance. But I guess what I’m asking is: are Qantas obliged to offer like for like in this situation if Japan is not open?

Many thanks in advance for your time!

Nola

Qantas will not do anything for you other than ask if you want to cancel your trip and get a refund.

It is up to you if you want to keep your flights and take the risk or switch to alternative flights.

Thanks Kris. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.