Need enough points soon for trip to Nicaragua - What are my most cost effective options?

Greetings masterful travel types.

I have a question for you all, any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Myself, my wife & my 4 year old daughter are soon to be travelling to Nicaragua. We live in Sydney, we need to stop off in Auckland and we are desperately trying to skip North America on the way through, so hoping to boost through Santiago instead. Question is, I have 67000 qantas points. I also have points with Air New Zealand & Virgin. Would it worth me jumping onto one of those credit card sign up deals to gain extra points? Or is there any other ideas that anyone might have to gain the most and spend the least? Thanks for your time & attentions. It’s much appreciated.

Rosco & Family

Hi,

I find that you need 56k Qantas points for economy 1 way from AKL-MGA alone. Even if you get a 100k signup bonus, its still not enough for return tickets for the 3 of you.

You might want to consider buying points if you need to travel soon:

United/Avianca: 45k economy one way per person SYD-AKL-IAH-MGA

Please compare costs and pro & cons between buying revenue fare and buying points to redeem flights.

If you have the time, credit card sign up bonus are one of the quickest ways to add to frequent flyer balance, check out link for latest offers.