January/February Velocity return flights redemptions from Sydney to Los Angeles - is it okay to book on a one-way basis?

Hi

I’m looking to travel to the US in Jan-18 on Velocity economy awards tickets for 4 people.

I’m wondering what experience people have had with January economy reward flight bookings/availability Sydney to Los Angeles (SYD-LAX), then back Los Angeles to Sydney (LAX-SYD) early February. At the moment there is some availability mid January on a Delta flight available through Velocity but February is only just coming up now and so no current availability. I was thinking I should just grab the January fares on a one way basis and the hope dates come up in February?

What do people think?

Thanks

Hi Cassie,

I commend you for trying to book in advance. Well done.

I just checked on the Delta website and they have only started selling up to the 3rd of Feb 2018.

If you are confident with the travel dates, I would recommend booking the outbound flights 1st. There are no discount in booking return flights compared to 2 one ways.

Then, keep a hawk eye on when Delta releases seats for the dates you want in Feb. Most airlines release seats 1 day at a time as 1 day goes by. So if you want to return on the 13th of Feb, I would start checking on the 18th of March 2017 onwards.

If you do really need to change the dates for the outbound flight later, Velocity change fee is a very reasonable $60 from memory.

Good luck.