Is there any other downside to using Velocity points to redeem business class tickets with Singapore Airlines to LA?

Hi Guys,
Long time reader, rare poster - thank you for all the incredible information.

I’m currently a platinum VA member and have a points balance of over 600k

I don’t want to purchase 2 x freedom fares to LA and risk waiting for reward seats to become available and possibly miss out. I also don’t have enough points to book 2 x return business class tickets straight out with VA.

For some strange reason, I can purchase 2 return business class tickets with SQ and receive my free stopover and not spend a cent (except for taxes - $400 odd). The only downside is that the journey is longer but it’s in SQ business class so it’s far from terrible.

My question is ; Is there any downside to doing this besides for draining my points balance.

I’m struggling to see why I wouldn’t do it (and there is availability)

My pros are ;

a350
free stopover
better business class than VA (from all aspects)

Thank you in advance

If you don’t mind, may I ask how many Krisflyer miles was required to book your return business class per person as I’m looking at a similar route but flying solo? Cheers

Hey Isklee\r\nSure. It was 220k Krisflyer miles per person return. A total of 440k but I had to pay the $450 taxes which is nothing.\r\nI didn’t mind parting with the points as the free stopover in Tokyo is a big bonus as we are staying there a week. I did book a saver ticket which apparently has low availability. I booked 10 months out. Happy to help if you need anything else as I learnt a lot from this and this site of course.

I’ve just logged into Krisflyer for a similar route for Sept 2018 and it comes back at 220k krisflyer miles each way (+$214 in taxes each way)…am I doing something wrong? I just want to be sure as I do not wish to transfer my Velocity points to Krisflyer only to discover that I’m short and unable to complete the booking! I also note that the Business Saver ticket is also noting as Waitlisted??? Cheers

That sounds very good to me. Also you will have access to the Star Alliance lounge at LAX and lounge at SIN

Downsides: costs more points, spend more time in the air (though that is an upside for some), hard product isn’t superior (on par I’d say).

Upsides: a350 is rly nice (recent went to Europe on SQ in J), soft product is better, added stopover in Singapore.

I’d take the VA flight any day if I could find availability, but the SQ option is good if not. SQ availability through VA isn’t as good as through SQ themselves, so if you have to transfer VA>SQ points you’ll lose 35%…