Is it possible to make insurance claim for cancelled Virgin Australia flights booked via Amex Travel?

Good morning all,
I had a Holiday booked for last year in July, Which was obviously pushed twice then cancelled due to COVID.
I had tried to cancel the flight prior to virgin going under but they said I had to wait till closer to the flight to cancel it, So i waited and then a few weeks later… well we all know what happened.

They then said my money would be abale to be used from my travel bank.

But what I was wondering, does anyone know if i can lodge a claim with Amex Platinium Travel? (thats who it was booked through)
And has anyone had any luck doing this?

I am a loyal Virgin Flyer (Platinium for 5+ years now) Just dont really want to have $6,000 sitting in travel bank if i will not be using it for the next few months.

Sorry not Travel bank, I believe the money is a “Future Flight Credit”
Which I have no idea how to use. seems they forgot to update me on anything

If you have booked through AMEX Platinum Travel, they should be your travel agent for the booking and so they should be the one that is updating you on your future flight credit. From my knowledge, you need to use your credit through them. Not sure about AMEX’s policy on claims, but it doesn’t hurt to try. I too struggle to see how I could spend 6,000 dollars on Virgin unless it was a transcon trip for several people in Business?

UPDATE!!!

Finally got a win, After backwards and forwards with Amex Travel and Chubb Insurance (amex’s insurance)
Insurance would not cover it, how ever…

As we had booked a refundable ticket, Amex Travel told us that they had a policy that anyone who had booked a VA flight through them, and who had purchased a refundable ticket, is able to get a 100% refund!

So good luck to anyone and everyone!

2 Likes

Ah! If you had booked a refundable ticket in the first place, that makes your argument much stronger regarding cash refunds. AMEX is really only doing what they are supposed to do with refundable tickets but it’s good to see you getting a good outcome in the end. You never know with travel agents during these times!