Is it generally better to redeem Singapore Airlines seats via Velocity or Krisflyer program?

I have enough Velocity points to get my family (myself, wife and 1 son = 3) to Singapore return flying BC. We are ex Adelaide, but my wife works for Virgin so we can depart any port really. I have 2 questions:
1: Is it better to look for reward seats on Virgin Velocity and do it all thru Velocity - keep it in-house so to speak?
2: Are there better ports for reward seat availability?

The reason for the question is I have looked for 3 reward seats ADL-SIN-ADL and the earliest I can find them is Feb 2023 and my son will need to miss first week of school. I wouldn’t have thought ADL would be that busy/difficult for 3 reward seats. Or are my expectations wrong?

Is it better to do this thru Krisflyer? That is, convert Velocity point to Krisflyer (when they announce the return of that). Are there more reward seats available inside Krisflyer?

Good news for you is that Krisflyer transfers are returning on the 19th!
In general, Krisflyer does have more access to award space than Velocity does. I would suggest you make a Krisflyer account first and do a search to see if you are able to find the seats that you want at the dates you want. If there is sufficient availability there, you can consider transferring. Apart from that though, its all speculation at this point.

I think being in ADL is already quite advantageous - it is a bit less competitive than the east coast cities in terms of awards but they do have more flights so definitely check those as well. Perth is not bad as well though a bit out of the way whilst Cairns is definitely the easiest. There’s no such thing as free lunch though - Cairns is the only one flew by the 737 MAX with those recliners you see in Qantas domestic 737 business and not lie flat seats like you see on every other port.

3 seats should be doable but school holidays are always tricky. I think it should be reasonable to get 2 and with a bit of luck 3.

3 Likes

Hi djtech

What an excellent, considered response, thank you. All makes sense and confirms some of my suspicions. I appreciate you taking time to respond.

Thanks once again!

1 Like

Hi djtech

What an excellent, considered response, thank you. All makes sense and confirms some of my suspicions. I appreciate you taking time to respond.

Thanks once again!

1 Like