Is it feasible to fly Los Angeles to Sydney with AA miles combined with Sydney to Melbourne on revenue Qantas ticket?

Hi. I am trying to use my AA points to get from LAX > MEL and then SYD>LAX. The best option AA offers is a connection in SYD on the way to MEL. I can click on it and move onto the return flight. Then I enter all the passenger info and it boots me back to the page to choose my flights again. I called AA about this and they said they can’t confirm the Qantas connection. I have to wait and see if Qantas opens seats for award use. I don’t know if my anxiety will allow me to wait too much longer. Does anyone know if it’s possible to combine an award flight with a purchased SYD>MEL leg? I can easily get an LAX>SYD r/t award ticket. If I have to buy the internal leg separately, which seems likely, does that mean I’ll need to claim my bags and recheck? I’m traveling with a 4 year old, so I’m trying to keep the hoopla to a minimum. Thank you!

There’s nothing stopping you from booking a seperate domestic connection with cash and then redeeming points for LAX-SYD return. The only risk there is that the domestic flight won’t be part of the same booking so you are not protected in the event of a cancellation or delay to your LAX-SYD inbound flight. As for luggage processes, you will have to collect your baggage regardless at Sydney as it is a requirement that all international arrival baggage go through border security screening. After you pass through the screening and let out into the international arrivals area, you will need to re-check your luggage for your domestic flight. The only difference is your bag would not have the luggage tag for the onward domestic flight attached if you book them separately, but it is just a matter of attaching it at the check-in desk.