How to use Velocity points to go from Perth to Europe in Sep 2024?

Hi I need some guidence here. So we want to travel to Europe next year (we are 2 adults and 1 toddler) using our velocity points … and we actually just purchased some taking advantages of the 40% off on the velocity webiste (BTW was this a stupid move?)
Looking at the flight from Perth to Europe using velocity is it possible that are actually more expensive than buying them through the actual airlines? Would you suggest to transfer Velocity to Krisflyer if flying through Singapore Airline? (Qatar is the other option)
It seems unresonable the amount of velocity they are asking. One way is 155000 velocity point… one way?? I booked our flights 2 years ago and they were 120000 return! Now is more than the double? And it is value comparison more expensive than buy the tickets through the airline…
Also as we are planning to fly around September next year… is best we wait a bit probably?
For experience are there any good points rewards flight deal upcoming?
Please any suggestions, guidance is much appreciated. Thank you so much!

Hi @Peggy

Would you be able to provide more info on the cabin you are intending to travel in how many Velocity points you have in total? I’m assuming economy flights?

Buying points/miles will make sense in some circumstances (e.g. economy seats are very expensive, redeeming for business/first class seats which typically costs a lot in $). Both of this example are dependent on award seats being available on the dates/routes you desire to redeem your points/miles for.

1 Like

@w.hiew We have 250000 velocity points as we are 3 we look for economy…

You are right in recognising some of the more ridiculous costs when you search for reward seats to Europe. One thing to keep in mind is that these are often Anytime reward seats, essentially trading in your points for cash. A quick way to tell is that they often carry a VA flight number, whereas you will be looking for QR (for Qatar) or SQ (for Singapore) or EY (for Etihad) when you are spotting the ACTUAL reward seats. These should range anywhere from 59,800 to 75,000 points one-way depending on your airline.

A helpful website to see your options available is https://seats.aero/velocity
Use the drop downs to select Oceania and Europe and you will find all the possible combinations they are watching out for.

Thank you so much! This is not reassuring but very helpful :smile:

@djtech I have checke but Perth is no listed and not even MXP only SYD/MEL/BR and CDG and London

Yes, PER doesn’t seem to be included.

Not a great option when travelling with a child and in economy (minimal transfers is key) but I see there seems to be many options (even though it is only within 60 days to departure on the free version that I’m seeing) from SIN. If you are desperate, you could fly on a cheap flight to SIN first then use Velocity pts from there (costs 50k pts per passenger one way, so you have enough for 5 flights.)

Transferring your Velocity points to Krisflyer will reduce your balance but may open up some additional opportunities. 250k Velocity pts ->161k Krisflyer miles.

It costs 47.5k KF miles PER-EU. So you will only have enough for 3 flights.

I finally had a look and 1.4 cent per point for Velocity points is not the absolute worst price for Velocity pts if you can snag a seat on what would have been more expensive if paying $ directly. If paying $, you obviously have more options and would not be scrambling for award seats.

@w.hiew thank you so much for your support!