How to use Qantas points on non-Qantas flights?

I want to travel to South Africa using points - there are no seats available on the Qantas flights. Is there a way to use the points on other airlines? When I search for flights on the Qantas website, only the direct Sydney-Johannesburg shows up.

Many thanks!

Hi @erica.kirby,
If you do a search on the Qantas website using the Multi-City search you should have some better success (possibly). Plan to go through a SE-Asian city and on to Dubai and then down to South Africa and see what turns up for you. Getting in and out of Australia to your first port of call is usually the hardest part. Possibly consider paying for an economy cash fare to get you to a close location that is serviced by an airline you can use points on (eg: Emirates & Jakarta, Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific, etc…).

You need to have patience and tenacity to find right routes - but it’s usually possible with some creative thinking. Sometimes you can jag direct flights - I managed to find flights from Perth -Dubai - Seattle return in 1st Class with Emirates in February this year - but at the moment, it’s very very hard.
Hope this helps! :grinning:

Thanks - I’ll spend some time playing around with different cities.