How to redeem Sydney to Vienna via Doha for May 2019?

Hi fellow travel planners,
Can anyone help me out with the qantas site 280k point business class reward. I’m trying to look for Syd-Doh-Vce and after about 4 weeks of daily searching I’m still only getting mixed class with economy and business. I’m looking for next May. Am I looking too early? Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi Rachel,

Yes, the Qantas site can be very frustrating!

You might be a little early. I’ve just done a very quick check of the Qantas website and as I write this they have only released seats for the first couple of weeks of May. Depending on when you want to travel, you might have to wait a few more days/weeks.

One of the general principles of booking reward seats is that you do have to be a bit flexible, both with travel dates and travel cities. I’ve just looked and you’re right – there’s extremely limited ability of business reward seats into Venice. However, there’s substantially more availability into Milan. Is a flight into Milan followed by a scenic half-day drive or train trip to Venice an option for you? Do you absolutely have to go via Doha? You’ll find plenty of Sydney-Milan flights via Hong Kong flying Cathay  and on at least one date there’s business availability into Milan via Dubai flying Emirates … if you’re willing and able to go those routes. You could also perhaps look at flying out of Melbourne or Brisbane as there may possibly be more reward seats out of those cities than SYD.

It’s your call, and only you know how flexible you’re able to be. But, if you’re willing to be flexible, there are other options available.

All the best with finding your seats!

Thanks very much sixtyeight. I’m very flexible and will look into the other cities. I hadn’t thought of Milan.