How to redeem flight from Abu Dhabi to Melbourne with Velocity points?

Hi everyone,

I have booked First Class to Dubai on Emirates in November using Qantas points, but haven’t sorted a way home. I thought it might be nice to go by road to Abu Dhabi, stay a night or two and fly home to Melbourne on 18 or 19 November. To do this I would need to convert Velocity points to Etihad ones. I have about 152k Velocity and have never redeemed any before.

How do I go about checking availability in a premium cabin on Etihad on those dates and transferring the points? I have absolutely no idea and find the Virgin site an utter nightmare. Arrrghhh.

Thanks!!

Hi Christina,

There are Business Reward seats available on Etihad on both November 18 and 19, on EY460 and EY462. Both cost 104000 Velocity points plus $368.80 in taxes.

Deep breath: head to the Virgin Australia website and grab the flight you want, while you can. The Virgin website is no better or worse than any other airline’s website once you get used to it. Select “Use Points + Pay” when you’re typing in the search.

Thank you so very much!!!

Another good tool is using the American Airlines website to search for etihad award space. Once you got the space, You could either call or book via the velocity website.

Thanks very much - such a wealth of knowledge on here!

All booked now :slight_smile:

1 Like