How to get more than 25% of the required Qantas points for a redemption? Since you can only top up up to 25%

I have 84,000 QANTAS points… not much in the grand scheme of things. I’m looking to fly to Europe on 31 July. I can do this via Emirates codeshare (all business) for 128,000 points on classic rewards - is there a way for me to purchase and then use 44,000 QANTAS points in this short timeframe?

Any and all help greatly appreciated!

JS

Family transfers are instant if you have an eligible family member who can transfer some points.

Alternatively, Qantas Epiqure sells wine, some of them will have big bonus point offers which can work out cheaper than buying points outright direct from Qantas. The points usually credit pretty quickly. You’ll find some articles on here about that.

Agree with fnqhacker. Family transfers is your best option. If not, then purchasing wine from Qantas Epiqure is probably your next best bet.

Epiqure currently have two different reds at $510 for a case of 6, which will net you 20,000 each = $1,020 for 40,000 Qantas points. I’ve bought wine from Epiqure before and the points usually hit my account within 24 hours. You can then buy the remaining 4,000 points from Qantas outright for $147.50.

All in, this would cost you $1,167.50, which would give you the 44,000 points you need (20,000 + 20,000 from the wine, 4,000 from Qantas points direct), plus you’d get 12 bottles of wine.

As a point of comparison, buying 44,000 points outright (assuming you were even able to given the 25% rule) would cost you $1,099.

If you have absolutely zero use for wine, then maybe look for another option.

I was in a similar situation to you last year when I was short about 40,000 points. For me, it was far more worthwhile getting the points from wine purchases than to buy the points outright. My logic was that I would rather pay a slight premium to get something of benefit like wine (which I do use) than to pay for points and get nothing else in return.

In the end I bought 4 cases of wine (12 bottles per case) for about $1,300 instead of paying $1,100 outright for the points I needed. I made sure to read reviews of the wines I was looking at and only picked the ones that sounded appealing. I figured I was going to have to spend $1,100 anyway, so the way I saw it, for an additional $200, I got 48 bottles of pretty decent wine, which I’m still getting through.