How to get from Melbourne to Miami in business class with points?

Hi
i am travelling from Melbourne to Miami next year and looking to use points for a business class ticket. i have a few options but wanted to know what the best use of certain points was.
i have 800,000 Qantas points and also 700,000 Westpac altitude points.
not sure which ones to use or which route i could take.
I could also start accumulation Amex rewards in next 6 months if that was best with a few sign up bonuses?
thanks in advance

Hi joshhoward,

I suppose the best method is the method that gets you a reward flight on the day you don’t mind flying on.

The shortest /quickest way seems to be MEL-LAX-MIA on Qantas and AA. You could use Qantas points or Asia Miles to fund this. Oneway in business class would cost 144.6k Qantas pts or 135k Asia Miles (405k Altitude pts) + taxes.

Other than the route above, a quick skyscanner search could only see two stop routes or more. Once you are happy to stop twice, there would be more options.

There may also be more options flying out of Sydney as AA and DL both fly out of Sydney.

2 Likes

The ‘best’ use of points is highly subjective. As @w.hiew said, your quickest option would be with Qantas and American Airlines. However, all of this is subject to award avalability.

You already have plenty of points so the amount of points needed is not really an isuse. My advice would be to start searching and looking at your options in terms of what dates have availability. Search on the Qantas website, find out what dates you can use your points. Finding out when you can actually fly is the best way to get started.