How to get from Melbourne to Maldives in business class with Velocity points?

Hi there,

I was hoping someone may be able to give me a rough estimate on the best way to fly Melbourne - Maldives in late 2019 using velocity points.

I am hoping to go for my honeymoon, and the plan is for both me and my fiance to open a credit card with a velocity points bonus each in our own names (link it to my existing account and then family pool the points), put all wedding expenses on the cards to earn additional points and meet the minimum monthly spending threshold to earn the bonus points and then put the points towards 2 x business class return flights with Singapore Airlines.

I can’t seem to find any information on how many points this might cost - does anyone have any estimates for me? Or if there is a better way I can get to the points needed?

Thanks so much :slight_smile:

Hi Genevieve,

My suggestion would be that you convert your Velocity points into KrisFlyer Miles: there’s certainly more availability for reward flights to Male on the Singapore Airlines website than on the Virgin Australia website. The best way to find out how many points you’ll need is to do a “dummy booking” on the Singapore Airlines website – click on “redeem points” and go from there. Such a search, for a Melbourne-Male flight, will reveal that a one-way business class redemption will cost a minimum of 76,000 KrisFlyer miles per person. In other words a return trip for two will cost you a minimum of 304,000 KrisFlyer miles in total.

Your strategy for getting the points seems sound. Unless at least one of you has a significantly higher income than average, you’ll struggle to get 304,000 points in time to book, but it can definitely be done with a little nous and effort. Possibly you might like to also consider having look at something like an American Express Explorer card which earns 1.5 KrisFlyer points per $ spent. Sooner or later it’ll have a sign-up bonus of 100,000 AmEx points (currently the sign-up bonus is 50,000 points so hold off for the moment)

All the best for your honeymoon and your marriage!