How to get from Brisbane to South America with Velocity points?

Hi there
We will have about 500K-600K velocity points and want to go to South America - 2 adults 2 kids. So 4 pax. Wanted to know the best and most economical way to get there from Brisbane? We may need to purchase a ticket if needed. We want to also spend minimal time in the air and fly economy.

Any advice would be great. Thanks

The quickest way from Brisbane to Rio de Janeiro (for example) is a one stop Emirates flight (31-32 hrs) via Dubai. (not redeemable with Velocity points). ~$1800 return.

To Santiago (18-19 hrs) via Auckland with Latam (not redeemable with Velocity points). ~$1600 return.

To Bueno Aires (18-21 hrs) via Auckland with Air New Zealand (redeemable with Velocity points???). ~$1800 return.

You may be able to still use Velocity points for Air New Zealand flights (I think their partnership is ending soon). Otherwise, you could transfer your Velocity points to Krisflyer to redeem Air New Zealand flights.

I know its a lot of money but I find with economy flights, its sometimes better to pay cash and fly the most direct flight. Economy redemptions, you still have to pay taxes/surcharges.

The alternative is try for Delta flights from Sydney to USA with Velocity points and then find your way down south. Not the most direct route.

Good luck.

Thanks Warren, sounds like a long trip for kids! Qantas flys direct to Santiago from Sydney apparently. That might be an option. We might have to choose a different destination that is easier to go to with kids and use Velocity points. Cheers Kylie