How to fly Sydney to Athens using Velocity Points and Altitude Points?

Hi,

Would love some advice if possible. My partner as 121K Velocity Points, and our Altitude credit card has 401K points on it (equivalent to about 200K Velocity Points).

I am thinking about the following options:

• should I convert these Altitude points to Flight Centre cards (to redeem about $1700) and then use this as a discount off the cost of two airfares (to Athens on Etihad) paying cash (currently $2400 each ticket)?

• is it better I convert the Altitude points to Velocity Points, purchase two fares to Athens on Etihad using cash, and then use the total 321K Velocity Points to upgrade the seats to Business there and back?

I am having trouble finding the best option. I did a dummy booking using Velocity and I didn’t have enough points for economy return to Athens, even accounting for the Altitude points (198K Sydney to Abu Dhabi one way, and 237K Abu Dhabi to Sydney total for two people)… I don’t understand as their points table shows I don’t need this many points…

Thanks for your help in advance!

Hi There,

The reason why the points total may be coming in at higher than you were expecting is it’s probably pricing an any-seat redemption rather than a standard award seat, which offer the best value.

It’s a complicated question, but if there were regular reward seats available that would be your best option. However since it sounds like there aren’t on the flights you’re after, converting them to Flight Centre cards may be a good way to go rather than massively devalue your points by doing an anyseat redemption. Also once your points are converted to Cash with Flight Centre you have the option to consider other airline options as well if they’re better value on your dates, rather than being limited to the VA velocity redemption partners. Qatar and Emirates also fly one stop to Athens, and as Qatar are new to the Australian market I tend to find the fares are usually very sharp.

Hope that helps!