How to book flights with my combined Velocity and Amex point balance?

Hi All,

Hoping for someone to point me in the right direction or tell me if it’s just not possible.

Looking at booking some business class seats from SYD to SGN for October. Reviewing point redemption options and Vietnam airlines direct flight is best option (via Virgin Atlantic) for return flights for 3 pax. The challenge I am having is:

I have half the required points in Amex points ( after the 2:1 transfer conversion)

I have ample velocity points which can cover this off.
My question is, is there a way to get Velocity points to either Amex or Virgin Atlantic?

Thank you in advance and apologies if this is covered elsewhere here that I have missed.

Ps: I did look at SQ but points are waitlist only and don’t want to rely on this.

Hello and welcome @SAA77 !

No, it’s just not possible to transfer Velocity to either AmEx Membership Rewards or Virgin Atlantic Flying Club points. You can only transfer Velocity points to Singapore Airlines’ KrisFlyer.

So the question now becomes: how can you use a combination of AmEx MR and Velocity points to get to Ho Chi Minh City and back?

If I’m understanding you correctly, you have enough AmEx points for a one-way flight to/from SGN. So your strategy will have to be using those points for one of the legs, and Velocity points for the other leg.

Regarding Singapore Airlines: is there Premium Economy availability? Even Economy availability? Are there any sectors (SYD-SIN, SIN-SGN, SGN-SIN or SIN-SYD) which are not waitlisted and which are available to book now? Would you be willing to fly to/from Brisbane or Melbourne if there is availability from/to those airports?

The lower-risk strategy would be to book one leg on Vietnam Airlines now, and the second leg on Singapore Airlines even if it’s in Premium Economy or Economy, or even if you have to pay for one sector and use points for the other sector, or if the Australian airport is Melbourne or Brisbane.

The much higher-risk strategy would be to hold off and see if Singapore makes anything available closer to the time. Then book that, and book the other leg on Vietnam Airlines – though your’re risking that it won’t be available by then.

Let us know how you go!

Hi @sixtyeight

Thank you for your reply, appreciate it. That’s what I thought maybe the case.
I will have a look at split airlines, stops overs and see what’s doable. Thank you again.