How to best use 30,000 Asiana miles?

As the title suggests, I have about half of the miles about to expire in the next 6 months.

I will either be based in Australia or in SE Asia at the time.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions in utilising the mileage points as best as possible?

Thanks in advanced!

Hi @creditnoob

Asiana is a Star Alliance airline. A redemption I’ve used with Asiana Miles in the past is to fly from Australia to NZ on Air New Zealand. It’s 12,500 Asiana Miles one-way (25,000 for the roundtrip): certainly not a bad use of points at all, especially if they’re due to expire. If you do fly to NZ and there are two of you (ie you only have enough points for a one-way trip for two), my advice would be to try to use the points for the trip back (NZ to Australia) rather than Australia to NZ, because of the lower carrier charges for flights out of NZ.

If you’ll be in Southeast Asia, you could get to Singapore or Thailand: Singapore Airlines and Thai Airways are both Star Alliance airlines, and you’ll have enough points for various one-way short-haul flights out of those destinations.

The Asiana redemption tables for Star Alliance airlines are here. Depending on where you’ll be, click on “South Pacific” (which includes Australia and NZ) or “Southeast Asia”.

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

hey sixtyeight, quick question.

How would I go about using Asiana miles or partner airlines - for example on Thai Airways or Singapore Airlines?

You will have to ring them.

https://m.flyasiana.com/C/US/EN/contents/star-alliance-mileage-tickets

Information on Using Flight Awards

• Reservation and ticket issuance must be completed at least three days before the date of departure of the first itinerary.
  • Reservations and ticketing can be done through the Asiana Airlines website or the Reservation Center.
    (However, for regions outside of Korea, reservations/ticketing cannot be done through the website. Please contact the Reservation Center.)
  • Korea reservation center: weekday 09:00 ~ 18:00(not open on weekends and public holidays)

Contact details at the bottom of this page.
https://flyasiana.com/C/US/EN/contents/book-online

1 Like

cheers mate!

I did end up booking via the website but had to change the portal to the KR website FYI for anyone else curious/interested.