How should we prepare for our 2023 Europe trip for a family of four?

Hi all,
I’d appreciate any advice you good folk have. I want to take the family to Europe on points or points/cash, preferably in Business, for my wifes 40th birthday in 2023.
2 adults, 2 kids (at that time over 12yo).

Currently our stash of points is -
298,000 Velocity
166,000 Amex Ascent

Should I be sticking with VA or should hold on and look to credit to SQ down the track?
Any advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Hi there,

At the moment, it costs 139k Velocity points to fly AU to EU one way business. For 4 passengers you would require 8 times that. You have nearly half of the required points but you have 1-2 years time to collect points so it is not too late yet.

Unless you have business spend you could use to generate points, credit card sign up bonus are a great way to boast point balance. However, do consider your personal circumstances and financial conditions.

It currently costs 116k Krisflyer miles one way business class to Europe from AU east coast. Unless you are able to earn KF miles effectively, Velocity pts may be easier to accumulate.

All the best.

I think it will be quite hard to find award availability for 4 people on all flights. You might need to consider one parent and child going on one day and the other parent and child going the next day.

Alternatively there is probably better award availability in premium economy. As it is your wife’s bday she could always fly business and you and the kids fly premium economy?!

Perhaps also consider a positioning flight to Asia (perhaps economy paid) and you all fly business class for the longest leg (if you can get it!)

Buying points might be another option for you to consider.

Thank you both for the advice. More collecting and research to be done on my side!

Not sure if you are willing to consider Cathay Pacific as a very good alternative?

I have just gotten to Norway via HK and Amsterdam on Cathay Pacific. There are 4 of us, but my younger daughter is only 1 though.

As per nlp28’s response, we decided to buy Premium Economy return SYD-HK and use points for 3 people in Business class from HK-AMS and paid the infant ticket the same flight. I originally used points to secure Premium Economy on that same leg but waitlisted for Business Class and we got it.

The HK-AMS leg in Business on the new A350 was awesome. New seats, new menus, new entertainment system (the most responsive system I’ve ever encountered)

For the return leg home, AMS-HK is myself and my older daughter in Premium Economy on points whereas my wife is Business Class with our infant (points plus infant ticket price). HK-SYD is Premium Economy (paid tickets).

Cathay Pacific (Asia Miles) is really easy to search for flights and waitlist yourself.

I haven’t had any experience with Velocity points redemption so good luck!

1 Like

Hi
I did Etihad last year in June for a fan of 5 in business class with velocity points. I booked about 8 months out. Surcharges was high, but we all got the same flight up and back.
Be flexible with dates and departure and arrival locations. We did Melb to Frankfurt on way up and Paris to Syd return.
Good luck!