How far in advance should I make my flight bookings?

I’m travelling to Scandinavia next August/September and Have made my Singapore Airlines bookings using miles but I’m wondering if there is any particular benefit in making other flight bookings now - i.e. is there a big saving in booking 12 months in advance?

My advice to you would be that if the price is right now, book now.

As a very general, often-broken, rule, the earlier you book, the cheaper the price will be. But there are always exceptions, airlines have sales, etc. Very occasionally airlines will reduce prices at the last minute in order to fill seats. Last week I saw a Jetstar flight from Queenstown to Melbourne for this coming weekend for $119!

Do some research for the airlines/routes you want to book. Have there been Christmas or post-Christmas sales with that airline in the past? If so, you might want to wait. On the other hand you risk the prices going up.

But you could potentially lose money waiting for a bargain that will never come. If the price is right now, book now.

2 Likes

Hi @brmmy,

If you Google search “best time to book flights”, this topic has likely been analysed to death by others. Some say ~60 days, some say 6 weeks. As @sixtyeight has mentioned, if the price is right, jump on it.

Have you heard of the saying, “fuel up on Tuesdays”? This rule of thumb was probably true at a point in time in the past. But these things are generally dynamic and always changing.

It is one of those things in life (e.g. buying shares, property), you can rarely spot the lowest of the low.

I try to sometimes not look at prices after making purchases (flights, electronics, white goods, etc). Ignorance is a bliss sometimes.