How do I get to Europe with Qantas and Velocity points?

Hi All, a bit of newbie and would like some help. I would like to get to Europe in summer of 2021 and trying to get a plan in place to do both legs in Business with my partner. What is the best way to do this? I currently have 300k of QFF and approx 300k in VV

For Velocity, Singapore Airlines is your friend. 139k pts and ~$150 in taxes per person one way.
The VFF search engine won’t show you through bookings (eg. AU-SIN-EU) so use it to find award availability on each leg individually then call up to book them as one ticket. If an agent says it can’t be done, push on: it is certainly possible. Often only one or two SQ flights a day are bookable with Velocity from AU so it limits your choices but still great.
The other option is Etihad for 139k pts and ~$700 in fees. I know which one I like better.

For QFF, the options are Emirates or Qantas (rare) for 144k pts and say ~$500-$800 in fees per person, or a mix of Qatar via Doha, Cathay via Hong Kong, JAL via Tokyo (rare but interesting) or maybe Finnair via Helsinki after getting onto one of their Asian flights with Qantas at 159k pts and similar fees.

Book early and learn how to use the booking engines to expose to you the various flight combinations. Use less busy ports to open up more options if necessary. Read on this site about the type of planes on each route to get the best ride for your points. Enjoy!

5 Likes

Thank you! Thats very useful will definitely keep an eye on Singapore airlines for my velocity leg.

Any difference in availability to or from Australia? Ie do I have a better change getting Singapore Airlines availability on certain sectors?

In terms of to/from Australia, I don’t think there’s much difference. Availability in Velocity is good (especially a long way out) for the flight numbers you can get availability for, with typical occaisional blackouts around school holidays etc.

For example, ex SYD you can book on SQ222 or SQ242 most days, the others basically never. Ex. SIN to SYD, its SQ221 or SQ241.

1 Like

The VFF search engine won’t show you through bookings (eg. AU-SIN-EU) so use it to find award availability on each leg individually then call up to book them as one ticket.

What’s the benefit of booking these as one ticket? And can this be AU-SIN… stopover for a couple of days… then SIN-EU as one ticket?

You’ll pay slightly fewer points booking a through ticket vs. two legs. 139k vs (65k + 92k).
If you count those extra points as the cost of a stopover then it’s not bad really.

2 Likes